Codependency: Passing on the Word

, , No Comments
The White House, Washington, DC, USA
Here is a quick blog from the road.
As you can tell by the photos on the Facebook page for My Life as a Border Collie: Freedom from Codependency, I am on a book tour.
Yesterday I was at the Barnes & Noble at Union Station in Washington, DC. I was hosted so well by that store, and we all felt that the book event was very successful.
Many people came up to me to talk about the book, drawn in surely by the fantastic cover of this book. Some people were also drawn in by the topic of codependency which the subtitle clarifies – but not as many people were familiar with this topic as I might have imagined.
In this very general public area where people are coming and going from trains at this station just outside of our national capitol building, I found myself explaining codependency to a number of people. Now I was careful not to make it an academic exercise but more to speak in language we all can understand on a daily basis: losing our self in someone else, over-functioning in someone else’s life, taking more care of others than of self.
As I offered this information, wanting to make sure that the potential book buyers did not think this was a dog training book but rather a book for personal development, I noted how often people said to me, “Well, this seems like a book most people could use.”
Then this morning from my Google alerts for codependency comes this article by a life coach and pastoral counselor, Randy Moraitis writing on how widespread codependency really is.
Yes, My Life as a Border Collie really is a book that most people could benefit from. Whether you call yourself codependent or not, I believe it’s important to bring to your awareness how you really are doing, what you may really need, and find ways to find that balance in care of self and others.
I’ll keep passing on the word.

0 comments:

Post a Comment